Friday, February 5, 2010

The museum commission is in the works!

After a few months of sketching out design ideas and weaving small maquettes, I started work on the commission for the Fuller Craft Museum's permanent collection. They want their piece to be a personal statement representing and topping off, the work I've done to date. I'm weaving a sculptural, graphic, double-walled construction which will incorporate my "hairy" technique in the inner basket. The above photos are details of the basket. (I enjoy photographing these almost as much as I love weaving/creating/problem-solving the actual baskets.)
.
Double-wall construction baskets are woven in two sections, an outer basket and an inner basket. I have finished most of the weaving/work on the outer basket, though I may rework the colors, or alter their placement as the inner basket design evolves. Working photos of the outer basket are posted here. More photos will follow as I work on the inner basket.

5 comments:

  1. amazing! my aunt is a weaver! bernadine dosch! wow! i love baskets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for leaving a comment. I hope that people will go to see some of the wonderful posts on your website: http://www.handmadecharlotte.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting to see you 'work in progress' pictures. Would it be presumptuous to say that the way you use and apply colour is painterly? Do you garden in the ame way?

    Look forward to seeing how you move on with this project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't feel that I have enough knowledge to make an intelligent comment here, except:

    YOUR WORK IS AMAZING!

    What an incredibly talented artist you are.This blog is a wonderful way to showcase your work.

    Judy Dunn
    aka @CatsEyeWriter

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judy, People don't need knowledge to have a response to what they see. Thanks for leaving a comment, it is appreciated ... and for identifying yourself via Twitter! (Yeaaaa Twitter!)

    ReplyDelete